Saturday 12 April 2014

Book Review | Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Genres- Contemporary, Romance, Classic, Coming of Age
Age- Young Adult
Release Date- February 1st 1999
Original Publishers- MTV Books 
Page Count- 213
Average GoodReads Rating- 4.19/5 

GoodReads
Amazon UK
Book Depository 








Synopsis- 
Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.


Review- No Spoilers-
Oh the feels!
I loved this book. It was such a good coming of age story that I think that every teenager should read during high school, actually anyone should read this, even if they're in high school or older. I myself read this when I was fourteen which personally I think fourteen to seventeen is the best age to read this- as long as you are quite mature as this touches on some very serious topics. I loved how it was set out in letter form and there was no other type of information apart from the letters. This still gave me a really good idea of what was happening and I could imagine it in my mind. This was a very strange set up, not many books being like this, I hope to read more in the same format. And now we can go on to Charlie, oh wasn't he was just the nicest person ever? I felt so sorry for Charlie I just wanted to give him a hug. When I was reading this book I felt like he was a real person and I was just hoping so much that his life would improve and he could just live a normal life. I really loved the other characters in this book as well- Sam, Patrick and Candace to name a few of my favorites. Overall I loved this and am very excited to re-read it again. Also if you've read the book you'll probably like the movie as it's quite similar to the book, with Emma Watson and Logan Lerman in.

No comments:

Post a Comment